Wild Grapes on the Ranch

Wild Grapes on the Ranch
Wild Grapes on the Ranch

Friday, January 18, 2013

Delish recipe, had to share!

Photo via my iPhone, E. Henderson
This recipe is by far one of our new fans. My husband thought it was like quiche without the crust (and much MUCH lighter in calories than a traditional quiche). It all started when I spotted a butternut squash in the store and had to take it home. I do this. I commenced sitting on my counter for some time before I resigned my self to just steam it in the oven and force myself to make something out of it. Of course, I then went to Pinterest and got a hit on this recipe. http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/11/butternut-squash-mushroom-sausage-and.html

Of course I can never just make a recipe, so I did tweak this a bit. I used Swiss Chard instead of Kale and used already cooked squash so I skipped that whole step. I also used Colby Jack as my cheese of choice because that what I had in the fridge.

Servings: makes 6+ servings


Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound Italian sausage, casings removed (omit for vegetarian)
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 2 cups butternut squash, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 cup kale, torn into bit sized pieces
  • 1 tablespoon sage, thinly sliced
  • 8 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk or cream
  • 1 cup gruyere, shredded
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Cook the Italian sausage over medium-high heat in a pan and set aside.
  2. Add the oil and butternut squash to the pan, cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes, and set aside.
  3. Add the oil, onion and mushrooms and cook until the onions are tender and the mushrooms are browned, about 7-10 minutes.
  4. Add the kale and saute until wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
  5. Mix everything in a large bowl, pour it back into the pan and cook over medium heat until the eggs are almost set, about 7-10 minutes.
  6. Transfer the pan to a preheated 400F oven and bake until the eggs have set, about 10 minutes.

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment