Wild Grapes on the Ranch

Wild Grapes on the Ranch
Wild Grapes on the Ranch

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Eating in season: Cherries


Cherries make me happy! Seriously, I'm sure there's some science behind why Cherries give me a giddy feeling that is virtually unshakable but that's a whole other article, someday! Today, after a long hiatus (as usual) I am back to share a super yummy recipe I made today.

Back story, after my awesome weight loss of 60+ pounds last year I have been on the steady climb back upwards due to not doing my exercises and not counting those calories. I've been back at it again the last few months trying to make it more of a lifestyle change to avoid back slide. So, as part of my new revamped healthy lifestyle, I have added in health smoothies to my diet. Last time it was tea, that was nice and no cal but I have gotten a bit bored with that and this has fit the bill nicely. I have been busy pinning recipe after recipe on Pinterest so it's no surprise this morning when I decided to make a smoothie for breakfast that I opened it up and cruised my board for a tasty healthy day starter.

Being that it is May, I have had the luck of scoring some amazing cherries from our friends and neighbors (I use the term neighbors loosely here since our closest neighbor is about a mile away) and these Cherries are fab! I have been popping them fresh the last two days and of course while I was picking them perhaps more made it in my mouth than my bucket  I walked away with cherry juice drippings down the front of my shirt, dead give away!

I did pin some cherry recipes yesterday hoping I would get to them in the course of our crazy busy day but I didn't. I did however manage to pit and freeze a cookie sheet worth for future smoothie use. So this AM the first thing I saw in my Smoothie board was this fresh Cherry and Oat smoothie. It had a bunch of stuff I don't have on hand and probably would use anyways but the basis was good so I modified to my pantry and yummo!

E. Henderson Photography (iphone photo)


Fresh Cherry and Oat Smoothie by Erin Henderson

1/2 cup coconut milk (or any other milk or milk like beverage)
1/4 old fashioned oats, dry
1 cup fresh cherries, pitted
1/2 cup non fat plain Greek yogurt (I'm sure you could sub any other yogurt here and it would be good)

Blend all ingredients and enjoy! If you want it cold add 4-5 ice cubes.

Nutrition info:
Calories: 284
Total Fat: 4.1g
Sat. Fat 1.8g
Sodium:15.2mg
Carb: 51.9g
Fiber: 5.3g
Sugars: 29.9g
Protein: 7.3g ting with

Extra! This smoothie was so good yesterday, I couldn't help tinkering with it again this AM. This is the variations I made: I used 1/3 cup frozen cherries(pitted), 1/3 frozen strawberries and 1/3 cup frozen blueberries, and upped the coconut milk to 3/4 cup. WOW! It's even better than the other with to tantalizing mix of fruit! Here it is below: Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment