Skip to main content

Delish recipe, had to share!

Photo via my iPhone, E. Henderson
This recipe is by far one of our new fans. My husband thought it was like quiche without the crust (and much MUCH lighter in calories than a traditional quiche). It all started when I spotted a butternut squash in the store and had to take it home. I do this. I commenced sitting on my counter for some time before I resigned my self to just steam it in the oven and force myself to make something out of it. Of course, I then went to Pinterest and got a hit on this recipe. http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/11/butternut-squash-mushroom-sausage-and.html

Of course I can never just make a recipe, so I did tweak this a bit. I used Swiss Chard instead of Kale and used already cooked squash so I skipped that whole step. I also used Colby Jack as my cheese of choice because that what I had in the fridge.

Servings: makes 6+ servings


Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound Italian sausage, casings removed (omit for vegetarian)
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 2 cups butternut squash, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 cup kale, torn into bit sized pieces
  • 1 tablespoon sage, thinly sliced
  • 8 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk or cream
  • 1 cup gruyere, shredded
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Cook the Italian sausage over medium-high heat in a pan and set aside.
  2. Add the oil and butternut squash to the pan, cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes, and set aside.
  3. Add the oil, onion and mushrooms and cook until the onions are tender and the mushrooms are browned, about 7-10 minutes.
  4. Add the kale and saute until wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
  5. Mix everything in a large bowl, pour it back into the pan and cook over medium heat until the eggs are almost set, about 7-10 minutes.
  6. Transfer the pan to a preheated 400F oven and bake until the eggs have set, about 10 minutes.

Let me know what you think!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 keys to my organic garden

When I first started gardening organically I was armed only with books and magazines that swore it was not only possible but beneficial to garden with out chemicals and pesticides. As a gardener for many years using what it thought were the conveniences of chemicals it was hard to convince even myself that this was even remotely possible. However, now that I have been hard at it for the last 6 years I feel like I have a pretty good handle on what I believe to be the 3 keys to organic gardening. Attracting beneficials: I have found this to be my favorite thing about organic gardening because it give me a perfectly legitimate excuse to justify buying flowers that don't produce veggies that we can consume. The right ones, however, do attract the "good" bugs that an organic garden SO needs. It is common knowledge that lady bugs are good for the garden but the why of it is not always clear to everyone. Lady bugs are very effective "bad" bug predators. Aphids are th...

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! (Repurpose!)

Reduce! Reuse! Recycle! (Repurpose!) Three words that speak volumes.   Around the farm, these concepts have been applied for decades. My husband, Eric, has an impressive local family history. According to the land deeds recovered while organizing paperwork from the other house on the property, his ancestors purchased this particular plot in the 1930’s.    The family was in the area for quite some time before that, however, and are rumored to have been numbered in the Stevens Party who came over via none other than the Stevens Trail. Frances Lenninger, a local Vina historian and author wrote in her book, Vina’s History in Photos and Stories, that Eric’s great-great-great-great grandmother, Matilda Foster, came over the trail from Iowa in 1848. This photo (Left) of Sam Henry Stephens, Eric’s great-great grandfather was taken in front of the Vina Hotel circa 1910. As locals during the time period prior to the great depression of the 1...

Putting my farm fresh eggs to use!

My Easy Quiche I made one of my favorite recipes last night for a dear friend's visit. Years ago she and I spent many a night in the Kitchen cooking up a quiche on a whim and have thus, established a strange tradition between up. I have been making this version of my own design for many years and find it easy and satisfying. I have tried a million flavor combinations and all have been pretty tasty so be creative and find out what is your favorite. Here are the basics: Erin's Easy Quiche 1-cup Veggies-Steamed broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, are my favorites. or mix it up! Just make sure its cooked because it only warms in the quiche. 1 cup diced meat-Ham, bacon, sausage work well. Again make sure it cooked. 1 pie crust (your preferred recipe, box or mix. I use Krustez pie crust in the box you just add water to and roll out). 1 Dozen Eggs 1/2-3/4 cup milk 1/2 block cream cheese-Softened 1/2 cube softened butter 2 cup cheese mix. I use swiss, chedder, mozzerella, jack, whate...